Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Body image....

It's funny how we see ourselves.

Just last night I was training someone and mentioned my weight loss over the last year (120 pounds) and how my next goal is to lose another 15. The lady looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Are you sure? Can you lose another 15 pounds??" as though I didn't have that much weight on my body.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with where I am, but I could stand to lose a bit more eventually. I'm in no hurry, mind you, but I want to lose a bit more yet.

My family always makes comments like that, too. I'll mention that I wear a size medium dress shirt now and they say, "Do you really want to lose more weight? You'd be down to a small!" While I don't think losing another 15 pounds would put me in a small at 180 pounds, I do think that I could stand to lose 15 pounds. I do have a lot of muscle on me now. More than I've ever had even when I was in high school lifting pretty often.

I guess it's all in our body image....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding the additional weight loss, I'll bet what puzzles people is how the amount was chosen. YOU LOOK SO GOOD ALREADY but in this day and age people do get anorexic or out of control so that is surely the concern. You sound very even handed about it It might help people understand but if you mention how you or your original trainer (do you check in with them?) came up with it.

Also, I wonder if those old height to weight insurance charts were helpful at all since it is conventional wisdom now that they are biased in different ways.

I have experienced that many people lose their ultimate weight one way or another but come to feel better being "a little heavier."

Also wondering ==
And do you feel colder now? (less "insulation") Is it harder to sit long periods of time (less padding). Was there extra skin to deal with? Stretch marks? Solutions?