Wednesday, November 3, 2010

My first session of alternative healing.

So I had my first session on the 25th of October. I met Angela at the office after working 9 hours or so.
We talked for a bit and did some EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique or also Emotionally Focused Therapy). Here's a definition to give you an idea of what EFT is: "a form of alternative psychotherapy that purports to manipulate the body's energy field by tapping on acupuncture points while a specific traumatic memory is focused on, in order to alleviate a psychological problem."
So Angela had me close my eyes and tap on various parts of my hand and face while repeating various phrases that she stated. I can't say I really felt anything on this first experience, but I didn't expect to on the first time. :)

We also did some Reiki (pronounced ray-kee). Here's a definition: "a spiritual practice developed in 1922 by Japanese Buddhist Mikao Usui. It uses a technique commonly called palm healing as a form of complementary and alternative medicine and is sometimes classified as oriental medicine by some professional bodies. Through the use of this technique, practitioners transfer healing energy in the form of ki through the palms."
I can't tell you how relaxed this makes me. This first session went down like this: I lay on my back on a table and with a cover over my eyes to darken everything with the lights also turned off and relaxing music playing. Angela started by placing her hands on my head and saying a sort of prayer to state her purpose to god/spirits/whomever. While I never fell asleep, I was so relaxed; it was almost a state of hypnosis (that's what I know that I can relate it to)! She proceeds to place her hands above and below different places on my body: for instance, she would slide a hand under my back and have her other hand on my chest. She then told me to envision a sponge that acts like a magnet to soak up or pull all of the bad stuff (could be thoughts, energies, etc) out and at the end, send them to the sun to transform their energy. At the end I slowly come back up to 'normal'. I was sooo extremely relaxed. I can't say I felt much other than relaxed after this first session, but again, I didn't expect anything else.

Lastly, she gave me some affirmations to repeat to myself whenever I felt the need. I have used those affirmations and others since then, and I think they help!


Stay tuned for the second session and a strange experience which I wasn't expecting to have!

No comments: