Saturday, August 16, 2008

I did it!....

Wow.
I finished the 5K. My goal was simply to run the entire time & not
walk, and I met my goal! Not only did I meet my goal, but I finished
in the top 1/3 or 1/4!!!
I have to say, about 2 miles into the 3.1 miles, I wanted to stop
running and walk. The 3 people running with me encouraged me to keep
going.

The organizers accidentally messed up and put the finish line about
1/2 mile further than it should have been. I ended up running about
3.6 miles in about 30:30 (30 minutes, 30 seconds). I poured it on at
the end and sprinted the last little bit.

The people running with me (Chris, Sara, & Adam) were surprised by my
pace at the beginning. Chris said afterward that when he saw my
starting pace he about gave up and said he was going to slow down and
would meet us at the finish. They also noticed whenever anyone passed
me or came close I would speed up. I guess I kinda noticed that, too.
Psychological, probably.

I am SO proud of myself! A year ago you couldn't have paid me to run.
Today, I paid to run! Funny!
I kept up an awesome pace and did better than I had hoped for!!!

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention, I got my race shirt last nite. I ordered
a size large and it fit! Wow! A year ago I wore a XXXL shirt!!! I now
wear a large?!?! That's incredible!

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Shea said...

Isn't is just mind blowing how much a person can accomplish and change in one year? I admire you Dave! I'm thinking about getting into running (since I quit smoking), want to try to get together sometime before winter hits and find a trail? I could use the encouragement- I'm constantly talking myself out of this one! Help me run, I'll help you with yoga :)

Dave said...

I'm totally up for running with you some time! It makes it much better running with another person.
I'd be up for some yoga some time. As much and as hard as I work out, I'm never sore...unless I do yoga! Yoga always makes me sore!
Congrats on the no smoking!!! Very proud of you!