Monday, January 7, 2008

Audition last night...

I auditioned last night for a play that I've done each of the last 3 years at the Des Moines Playhouse: High School Reunion.

I play Ted Edwards, the stoner character. If you've ever seen Tony 'N' Tina's wedding, it's that type of audience participation play. There's dinner, dancing, and a show all in one. The basic jist is that we (the class of 1984) graduated 24 years ago, however a prankster hit back then and some of us weren't able to walk across the stage and our prom was cancelled as well as the senior talent showcase.

The problem is that my character eats all through the show because he has the munchies. I eat a bag of Doritos onstage, a chicken leg, a Capri Sun drink pouch. Then down when mingling with the audience (our 'fellow classmates) in the dance/dinner area (Kate Goldman Childrens Theatre) the audience keeps pawning their hors d'ourves off on me (just those little packaged breadsticks with the processed liquid cheese stuff). THEN we eat dinner of lasagna, bread, cake, and salad.
I told the director that I'd audition but that I don't know if I can do the show because of my lifestyle change. I won't eat all of that unhealthy stuff thru the show this year. I think that the character could suffer if I don't eat, though, so either we'll need to make changes to the character or cast me as someone else or just don't cast me.

We'll see.... I'll know by next Monday. The director said we could work something out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, the way you've played the character is certainly classic. (You'd think they'd have you write out beats, scenes, character points so it could be done in the future. You've really got it fleshed out -- no pun intended.)

Anyway, I think you could twist it and still have it be funny, i.e. They (I assume your castmates) can still offer you foods, but you could be reformed and educate them on the carb count (and there's nothing worse than a smoker -- than a reformed smoker, ya know) of course, we all know what has no carbs....which opens you up to more Cheech and Chong references, unless you're reformed on that, too -- 80s was Nancy Reagan "Just say NO" remember.

Or just pretend -- you could flash the bag of Doritos and do more feedbag type fake eating, and find ways to make chicken and drink pouch really something else good for you and no one has to be the wiser.

All sorts of opportunities!

ya know the only reason I don't comment more is it is such a pain to "sign in!" Best, M

Either way you can do it!

Unknown said...

Dave

I hope that they can do something for you so that you can be in the show. I know someone that did it a few years ago not sure if he still does or not. His name is Josh Sampson. I was thinking of going to it this year but I don't know if it will fit in with my diet. I could go on my free day and I could just not eat it all either.

Vicki

Dave said...

Thanks, Mary! I do have it 'fleshed-out'. If I don't lay off the fiber before the show, I'll have it 'flushed-out'!
I DO like the 'just say no' thing. Not sure why I never thought of it before! I remember when Nancy was on 'a very special' Diff'rent Strokes! The feedbag idea is funny. I could even put Baked Doritos in there as they're healthier.


I remember Josh. He was in the show the second year as Skip McAllister the videographer-turned-undercover detective! He used my video camera every show and never dropped it! I was nervous that he might!
If I remember correctly, the cooks may have a vegetarian option or you may be able to bring a salad in and have them serve it to you. I'm pretty sure that they did that for people over the years. You might call the Playhouse and tell them that you have special dietary requirements and they can contact the caterer to work it out. It's not a hassle. If you come, say hi! of course I'll be in character and can't act like I know you from here!