Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sunday and Monday.... Birthday and the hospital....

So Sunday afternoon I got a text from the girl that I'm seeing (or girlfriend as some people call them lol). She said she was on her way to the ER because she was in severe pain from her back and was unable to walk. After they admitted her, I went to see her. She had back surgery a couple of years ago and until now has had no real issues with it. I visited her for a few hours Sunday night (if I remember right....lack of sleep from the film, so I don't remember the weekend that well).
I had Monday off from work due to my birthday and moreso for recovering from the filmmaking process. I woke up and ate a piece of cheese then stopped and bought Shannon flowers and went to the hospital. I was there from around 10:30am until about 3 when I had to leave to check out the finished product of our film that Andrew edited. (If I may for a moment...Andrew, as always, was the hero of the filmmaking process. He slept all of maybe 5 hours since waking up Friday morning until Monday night. A lot of that time was staring at a computer screen for hours on end while cutting the film and creating special effects.)
I was at Andrew's for an hour or so and hadn't yet eaten lunch or even really breakfast but for that 1/2 piece of cheese. I ended up eating a burrito that was leftover in his fridge from when they all got Taco John's on Saturday. I also ate 1/2 a thing of potato ole's with nacho cheese.
I went back to the hospital, but on the way I stopped off for a colby cheese stick at the gas station and a V8 and a Frappuccino (I needed caffeine but didn't want to drink pop). I ate the cheese and drank the V8 later for dinner.
At the hospital, Shannon asked her nurse if he could bring her the sherbet that the room service people forgot to bring her with her dinner and asked if I could have some ice cream since it was my birthday. Her nurses at Mercy are the best, by the way!!! He went out of his way and found me a little carton (ok, two) of chocolate ice cream. I spent most of my birthday day and night with Shannon at her bedside just hanging out trying to keep her company and to try to keep her mind off of the pain. She felt bad that I had to spend my birthday with her in the hospital feeding her (since she couldn't sit up in order to eat) and just watching TV. First off, I probably would've just been watching TV at home and relaxing like I was doing there. Second, what better way to spend the day with someone that you care no matter if it's in the hospital or wherever. It was nice to spend that time together since she's got 3 cute daughters that keep her soooo busy. We don't get to spend a lot of time together.
She was still in a lot of pain, but she was able to sleep last night finally. She's been on vicadin and morphine with no relief until they gave her some other stuff that I've since forgotten the name of.

I'll be heading to the hospital from work tonight at 6 so I can keep her company for a few hours. As much as I like my job, time can't go quick enough. I want to make sure she's doing ok.
They did an MRI yesterday and found something irregular; I think it was a tear in or around a disc. They're going to try to avoid surgery and handle it thru a shot and physical therapy to see if it heals itself.
Hopefully she'll be better for my birthday party this coming Saturday night at Billy Joe's Pitcher Show....bring on the karaoke. If she's not better by then and can't go, I may postpone the party but I'm trying not to think about that. I just hope she's better....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hope she gets better soon!!! Tell her I'm thinking of her!