Monday, November 5, 2007

4th Workout. Made some new food last night....

Workout....
Well, I worked out today at Mercy for the fourth time.

Today I did about 20 minutes on the treadmill at around 3.4mph with an incline level of 4. I then went to the cross-trainer right after that and did, I think, 15 or so minutes on a varied workout (it would have you change your speed, have you use your arms more than your legs at some points, have you go in reverse, etc etc).
Right from that, I went to the weights for the remainder of my hour. We (my trainer Deb and I) did some new machines we hadn't yet used as well as the ones I had been using. We did some ab machines and some more leg machines.
From there, we did some ab exercises on one of those exercise balls. I was worried I'd pop the sucker! Anyway, we also did some push-ups using it.
From there we did some stretches to end the morning.

Man, this was my best workout yet! I was definitely feeling it when I was done! It felt great!


New food....
So I made hummus last night. I've had it before and liked it, but it can be a bit expensive at the grocery store, so I decided to try making my own. The stuff in the store comes in a little tub; can't be more than about 3 ounces but costs over $3.00.
I got a food processor for my birthday from my mom, so I enlisted its help. It was really simple to make...
First off, I never follow recipes, I just use them as guidelines then improvise.
I had no idea how many chick peas (garbanzo beans) to buy, so I bought two 16 ounce bags of dried beans. I boiled them for two minutes and soaked them for an hour. I didn't realize how big they'd get! I should've done 1 bag at a time! I also bought two heads of garlic and a lemon. I already had the olive oil at home as well as the kosher salt. So the lemon, 2 heads of garlic, and the 2 pounds of beans came to just over $3.00! MUCH more economical to make your own!

I roasted the 2 heads of garlic then threw them in the food processor along with some of the chick peas. I processed that together, added some kosher salt and some lemon juice and as it came together I drizzled in olive oil. I didn't want to add a ton of oil, so I spooned in the water that I boiled the beans in to thin it out. That helped a lot. I made it in batches and used most of the beans. I ended up with a huge bowl of hummus! Oops! Next time I'll know to buy 1 bag!

It turned out pretty tasty!

1 comment:

tattoo girl said...

Great job on the hummus! It is definitely more economical and you can flavor it how you want it. Keep up your enthusiasm with the work outs! You are doing great!!!