Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Employee commentary when buying turkey at the grocery store....

So fairly recently I was at the grocery store buying deli turkey from the deli meat counter. Actually, a couple of different stories here....
It seems like 1/2 the time I buy deli turkey at the store, somebody has to comment, "Gee. You just bought turkey the other day." I'll reply with something to the effect of, "Yep, I sure did. Now I need some more, please." They'll either reply with, "Is that all you eat?" or "Don't you get sick of that?" Keep in mind that most of the clerks know about the weightloss thing on Channel 13. And it's not like I'm buying a pound of it every day; I might go thru a pound a week or so, depending how thin or thick it's sliced.

So recently I was there and another similar incident happened. This time, though, it was some clerk I'd never seen before. I pointed to the cheapest turkey and asked for a pound of it. She says, "I don't know how you can eat that. That stuff is just like water." I said, "Well, it's helped me lose about 100 pounds since the end of September, so it's not too bad." She replies with, "Well, I don't need to lose weight. I have a good personality." I just wanted to say, "I'm glad you're comfortable with being overweight. I wasn't and decided to do something about it. I also have a good personality. But my other personality wants some f$#(&!@^ turkey!!!"

Seriously. I'm very friendly. I talk to the clerks and always treat them with respect. I don't mind the first ones I mentioned. They're just noticing me and that's fine. But that one girl irritated me.
Did she think I was saying she needs to lose weight? Anybody have any thoughts?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

About the girl at the counter. I think you were just saying that the turkey helped you. I don't think you were trying to tell her that she needed to lose weight. I think you might have been just telling her that so that she would have that information and could pass on to others that may need that information. Maybe just me but I like to know what works for others and use the information to help myself or others.

Dave said...

Thanks for the feedback. :)

I know I was saying that, but for some reason, she seemed to get an attitude. Oh well. Her problem. :)